Early screening of the colon is one of the most important ways to detect and prevent colon cancer. In this video, Dr. Echavarria and Dr. Gelrud discuss how several studies have shown that by removing polyps, there is a decrease in the number of new cases of colon cancer, and a decrease in colon cancer death rates. Polyp removal is easy and only takes a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes. In contrast, it is very difficult to treat an advanced stage of colon cancer, which could involve surgery, chemotherapy, and the outcome might not be as good as if it had been removed when it was just a small polyp. Recent studies show that if a screening colonoscopy detects colon cancer at an early stage it can be treated with an almost 90% chance of survival. Cancers that are more advanced (i.e., stage IV) only have a 10% survival rate over 5 years. By finding polyps early, there is a better chance of preventing colon cancer. By identifying cancer early, you can improve the outcome of your health and lifespan.
Share with family and friends:
Click here to take our Colonoscopy SURVEY Your feedback is important to us! We will use your feedback to develop future areas of content about colonoscopy which will help other patients, caregivers and families.
Initial funding for this activity was provided by independent educational grants from Boston Scientific and Ferring Pharmaceuticals.
Current funding is provided by Mechanisms in Medicine to support the outreach of this activity and expand its educational curriculum.
All content is developed independently by Mechanisms in Medicine Inc. in collaboration with an Expert Faculty group; funders are allowed no influence on the content of You And Colonoscopy.
This website is part of the Animated Patient™ series developed by Mechanisms in Medicine Inc., to provide highly visual formats of learning for patients to improve their understanding, make informed decisions, and partner with their health care professionals for optimal outcomes.